The History of The Evansville
A salesman from New York, selling office supplies, came to Andres
Store in Evansville, Indiana in September, 1929. He asked if there
was a stamp club in Evansville. The clerk referred him to two men,
Arthur Romerhaus and Henry A. Meyer. Romerhaus ran a story in the
Evansville Courier asking anyone interested in stamp collecting
to come to Andres Store. The following people showed up: Henry A.
Meyer, Arthur Romerhaus, J.L. Cooprider, William Hay, Leon Moorabian,
Harry Hopkins, John W. Walton, Henry Dannatell and Mrs. Pilar Leich.
These individuals were the nucleus and charter members of the Evansville
Stamp Club. The club was organized October 2, 1929.
Meetings were informal over the next several years, swapping stories
of how members started collecting stamps. Membership cards were
first issued in 1932. Dues were one dollar a year. The club had
its first exhibit in 1933 and ribbons were awarded. In 1934, Major
Guy W. Camp came to the Evansville area. He showed the club members
how to organize and run a stamp club. Officers were elected later
that year. They were: Guy Camp - President, Arthur Romerhaus - Secretary
and William Hay - Treasurer. Mr. Hay served as treasurer until his
death in 1970.
Currently, the Evansville Stamp Club meets once per month, on the
third Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm. Our meetings consist of
club business, stamp auctions and interesting philatelic programs.
Once per year, the club sponsors Evanspex, which is Indiana's longest
running stamp and postcard show.